Where have you been?

To travel is to discover that everyone is wrong about other countries.
~Aldous Huxley

Readers Corner

February 27, 2007
Current Book

"The Histories" by Herodotus translated by Robin Waterfield

Previously Read

  • "Poland" by James A. Michener

    Another good one from Michener. Not his best but it was still a page turner for me. Naturally I was very intersted in the subject because I am living here but I think it would be intersting for general readers as well. Poland seems to have done everything in its power to kill itself. I still don't know if now is any different...sad.


  • "Dublin" by Edward Rutherfurd

    Excellent book. I was never able to visit Ireland but when I do I hope to see some of the sites discussed in the book. Rutherfurd is one of my favorite authors and I would highly recommend him to anyone looking for an interesting and educational book.


  • "Centennial" by James A. Michener

    I have been talking with my girlfriend about moving to the Denver area and I had to laugh when this book was set in that exact area. Maybe it was an omen...I love books like this about America, they don't sugar coat things like the shitty History text books they use in most public schools. "So tell me again Mrs. Teacher why there are no Indians or buffalos in America now?"


  • "The Book of Mormon" translated by Joesph Smith

    Most of you don't know but Jesus visited the Americas. And the American Indians deserved to die because they were Laminites. Neat how I read Centennial right after this book - they fit together well. Anyone have an English Bible they want to give me?


  • "Wuthering Heights" by Emily Bronte

    Humph, that family was jacked up. I hope that no one I know ever has to live in a similar situation. An interesting read however, and worth a look. In northern England there is the Bronte house (or some I'm told) where Emily and her two siters grew up. Her books are often (maybe all?) set in that area.


  • "Under the Greenwood Tree" by Thomas Hardy
    Its a slow book but it was wonderful having stayed in the area Hardy writes about.

  • "Testament of Youth" by Vera Brittain

    A personal and very private account of the effect of World War II on the author. Her brother, fiance, and another close friend all all killed in action. This is yet another example of why wars are bad. But as Plato says "only the dead have seen the end of war."